Saturday, April 10, 2010

Vanishing Point


Now in my opinion Vanishing Point just topped all of the films that we have scene in our class by a lot. The reason I say this is because usually when we learn about some background of the film or about the characters I'm normally not really interested, or I'm more blown away by the cinematography in the film. However, when I watched Vanishing Point Not only was I fascinated in how they shot the movie, but I also really enjoyed the story behind Kowalski and the era that this story to place. Now when I first started watching this film I thought I was just going to sit and watch a movie about some guy in a car, like I'm sure most of my other peers also thought, but when you get into it the subtext of the film really takes you places.

The character of Kowalski really seemed to stand out through out the film as this hero doing something great for the American people that were treated unjust or something like that, but in actuality that's not really what he was going for and he really didn't care to be a hero for this part of his life. In class we disscused how people saw him as this great rebel leader against "The Man " because that is what people including the friendly Dj Super Soul made him out to be. Maybe Kowalski was once this hero they talked bout because he had this background of being in the army and police force both being highly decorated, but since he lost out on all of these better off opportunities, he is just driving. His character is one made out to be one big contradiction.

I really liked the whole aspect of freedom discussed in the article and further discussed in class. The article talked about how as I said before, people portraying kowalski as this hero, but how instead he is just making it possible to get the feeling of freedom that he has been denied of his whole life. He wants to speed. That is how Kowalski is able to get this feeling of freedom, by going really super fast and breaking the limitations that normally constrict people to a certain speed. That is also one aspect I found to be pretty funny in my own humorous mind. I thought it was great how he wanted to go super fast, so he was taking speed to give himself the rush, as well as all of the cinematography aiding that feeling with quick cuts that seem to amplify the drug use.

Alright now I have a theory about something mentioned in class but I don't think anyone really answered it or made it very clear as to why this happened. In the end, right before Kowalski meets his demise, we see a close up shot on his face, and what do we see; a smile. Why on earth would he smile? Now bare with me, but I really think that it has something to do with his past of trying to win or do the right thing, and always having things crushed in front of him. Now personally when I'm trying to do something that I really want to do and I have come pretty far to almost finishing, I really don't want things to come and mess them up. But when that does happen , and it does happen eventually, you really need to just laugh and say "god damn it". So im guessing its one of those this that you need to laugh or smile to keep from crying. Now I could be wrong but if I was in that position I believe that I would laugh as well.

A lot of people thought that the final ending of Kowalski was kinda boring and just kinda fell short of the story, but I really think that him doing what he did was the perfect ending. It was the ultimate F*** you, your going to take my speed and freedom away form me. He even sped up to crash...amazing. Anyway I loved it, a great way to ultimately break the limitations that seem to restrain him throughout his life.... just perfect. On a side not this film reminded me of the character of Walter White on Breaking bad because of all of the let down he experienced in his life, which would then change when he discovers he has cancer so he start to do the opposite. I don't know both of those guys seem amazing to me.

See y'all next time!

7 comments:

  1. I too really liked this movie and how it had a lot to do with the American culture at the time. I also thought it was just much more relevant for our generation than the films we watched from the 40s and 50s, which I felt I really couldn't relate to at all. The 60s-70s were a really interesting time in American history anyway.

    The discussion about Kowalski's hero status seems like it can go on and on. In a way, he's a good guy-- he saved a girl from being raped, he was once in love, he turned down sexual relations with the naked motorcycle chick because he's still hung up on his old girlfriend. Still, he's not really a HERO in traditional sense. And, like you said and we said in class-- all he really wants is freedom through speed. He's not working for the 'greater good' in any way. Still, I think he represents an American hero of the time in a sense. He's not a bad guy, but he wants freedom and he'll stick it to the man to achieve that freedom.

    I'm glad you brought up his smile at the very end. I think I'd agree with your assumptions about what it meant. I think he just knew it was his final moment, his final 'fuck you' to the cops, and he wanted to go out with a bang (no pun intended). And he went out doing what he loved, driving fast-- how tragic would it be if he had a different expression in that moment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree i was initially attracted by the way the prof. explained the film and what sort of genre it was in. I was anticipating something a little more shocking though. I guess when you think of the good Kowalski did, you can consider him....someone who does good, but not quite a hero. He is just doing what he thinks is the right thing, which in society will usually get you into trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Knees Bees comment about what it would be like if Kowalski had a different facial expression at the end is really interesting to me. It reminds me that the subtle decisions of (I would guess the director of the film) are extremely important. Also, it makes me think that there was a lot of thought put into that one facial expression. When we’re watching it, this subtle moment kind of just fits right into the film, but if he was angry or on the verge of tears Kowalski’s character would seem beaten and the film would come across much more like a tragedy than a worthwhile and meaningful journey.

    “Maybe Kowalski was once this hero they talked bout because he had this background of being in the army and police force both being highly decorated...”

    This comment, I also found really interesting. It seems as if the flashbacks of the film showing Kowalski as this cop or even this racecar driver are what a typical film (especially Hollywood) would be about. In the past, his character had a clear role and in some sense purpose that, if the film was centered on these moments of his life, could’ve made him come across as being heroic.
    However, the filmmakers are not interested in telling that story. By focusing on this time of Kowalski’s life, the film reflects the time period, commenting on how we often feel restricted and frequently find ourselves questioning our ideas of what is actually heroic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your comparison of Kowalski to walter from breaking bad, they both have all the tools to be someone great, their circumstances just shit all over them. I definitely agree as well about the ending, I loved it and I do the same thing, laugh it off. Usually the simplest answer is best when it comes to things like this. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked the Breaking Bad comparison too. And I'm not sure about the cryptic smile either. Except that it seems to come after he sees that shining spot between the bulldozers, and I thnk he's just imagining what it's going to be like to drive right into that light--become pure speed and pure light. How can anybody be bored with a car crash suicide and a huge fireball? Sheesh, yours is a jaded generation :-)

    I'd have liked to see you pull the reading in a little more closely, and consider what's said about the irony of Kowalski seeking freedom in that particular way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good movie for the young Generation just like me dho i'm in third world country but it means a lot and kinda lesson to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You go up against the man, you gotta crash your muscle car into bulldozer blades at full throttle. Everybody knows that! :)

    ReplyDelete